…in Five Minutes a Day.*
I checked out the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day book because everyone was raving about it. I won’t go into detail, but I will say that I have baked THREE loaves of bread today. Well baked one, and two are waiting to go in. I’m working with the master recipe, but I have a few questions and concerns.
- Was I supposed to only get three loaves of bread out of the master batch?
- Why was all the salt and yeast sitting in a corner of my bucket? I’m so confused. The loaf that had most of that gunk is pictured with the cross carving…or scoring or whatever they’re called!
- Did anyone else almost singe off their eyebrows trying to put the water in the broiler pan?
- My oven heats to 450°C in less than 20 minutes. Maybe that’s why the water is trying to jump back out of the broiler pan…
Soggy Middle... Is this ok?
In about 30 minutes my bread will be done, and I’ll finally have a batch that I can taste for myself. I did get to hear the previous loaf crackle as it cooled on the wire-rack. That was pretty satisfying if I must say so myself. I’m going to take the second loaf in to my lab and get some unbiased opinions.
I’ll let you know how it goes.
* and yes I know that one loaf looks like its guts are leaking. I’m an amateur – give me a break. I’m hoping that they will get better with time.
If you know me, you know I don’t really like chocolate.
However, one of my labmates took her pre-prelim today, and that’s cause for celebration in my book.
I don’t know if I’ve said before, but I’ll say it now: I love petebakes! I have tried lots of stuff there – and I’m slowing making my way through the entire website. For a while I’ve been making the breads Pete lists: including the apple and banana bread. Normally I don’t add chocolate chips, but I know the person it was for enjoys chocolate soo….
The recipe is after the jump…
I’m thinking about upgrading….
I simply cannot do what I want on this blog and it makes me angry.
There’s a giveaway over at Doughmesstic’s blog. It’s in celebration of pie day and, it’s an Emile Henry pie dish. Get over there and try to win it!
Now, normally I wouldn’t champion eating at Arby’s, but I just got a link that let’s you try a free roast burger with the purchase of a softdrink. Seeing how I’m all about Diet Coke and Dr. Pepper, I thought I’d pass it along to you guys.
CLICK HERE FOR COUPON
I’m so behind on various recipes and things I’ve been doing.
I tried out Ree’s Whiskeyed Carrots for Thanksgiving. Yes, I know it’s January, but I’ve been pretending to be busy.
I turned on Al Green’s Stay With Me (by the Sea) feat John Legend, and the rest was history.
So bright, so orange.
I promise this was only used for making the carrots.
I didn’t say this was healthy!
…makes my life so much better.
I went to Williams-Sonoma. There was a sale. New Calphalon grill pan.
Grilled Turkey Brats & Onions. Yum.